Search This Blog

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Scalloped Asparagus and Peas

Yesterday I made scalloped asparagus and peas and it turned out wonderful. Ron smelled it as soon as he came home from work and I had to disappoint him because it's was for the next day's lunch.
We managed to sneak a bite and we loved the way the vegetables tasted. The chopped boiled egg and shredded cheddar and parmesan cheese really set it off. I added paprika to the top and some bread crumbs.

Scalloped Asparagus Recipe
This is a tasty side dish to make with your favorite main course, or use it as your main course if you are a vegetarian. It has all the nutrients you need.
4 eggs, hard-boiled, chopped
1 pound of fresh asparagus (approximately 20 – 30), tough ends snapped
1 cup of frozen peas, thawed
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
½ stick butter (1/4 cup)
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
½ cup dried bread crumbs
¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
Dash, pepper
Dash, paprika
Spray your baking dish with cooking oil. Toss peas on the bottom and layer asparagus into the dish, place eggs on top.
Melt butter over medium heat in small skillet, whisk flour into butter until thoroughly combined, forming a paste. Gradually whisk in milk. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
Pour hot mixture over asparagus, peas and eggs.
Add grated cheese and bread crumbs.
Sprinkle paprika over cheese.
Brown at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Topping should be slightly brown.
NOTES: It is important to use a small skillet when cooking the flour, butter and milk. If you use a saucepan, the mixture will be too heavy and will not thicken properly.

I appreciate any comments you may have on this recipe. 
Tonight is french bread pizza night. We take frozen pizzas and add our favorite toppings so they taste fresh and wonderful.
See you tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. I'm sending this one to Gary so he can cook it for me :) He has been on an asparagus kick. -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I just finished eating my portion and I loved the flavor. I alternate the direction of the asparagus so no matter how you cut it, you will still get some of the spears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirlee, this web site is a great idea!!! Please Heather make this for me when I come home!!!! I love asparagus!!!.... Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruce, I'll make sure she gets the recipe.

    ReplyDelete