Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Kitchen Secrets -Things I've Learned about Cooking

 I will be adding some cooking secrets from time to time. There are times when I didn't cook a new recipe the night before and don't have recipes to share. Enjoy! If you have something you'd like to share, please let me know.


Cilantro: If you like to use fresh cilantro, and I hope you do, it's important to keep it fresh. Remove the fresh leaves from the stem and place them on a piece of barely moist paper towel in a single layer. Roll the paper towel up and wrap it in plastic wrap or a plastic bag, making sure as much air as possible is removed. Store in the refrigerator and your cilantro should stay fresh for at least 3 - 5 days.
OR place in a tall cylinder with a lid with a little water in the base. We have one of these, but I'm not sure the correct name for them. The company name is PROGRESSIVE. It's another one of those wonderful kitchen gadgets we picked up somewhere.
Store your fresh herbs in this cylinder to keep them fresh
Dash: What the heck is a "dash" anyway? I know I use the term a lot, but my "dash" and Ron's "dash" are different. The official standard of measurement for "dash" is 1/16th teaspoon. I think it all depends on what it is your "dashing." Cayenne pepper gets less than say, oregano. Unless you're like Ron. He's more like a two "dasher" when it comes to cayenne. I have to admit I've "dashed" two or three times during a recipe. It's all a matter of taste. And while we're on the subject of taste, by all means TASTE your food while you're cooking it. Don't wait till it's done and then add something.

No comments:

Post a Comment