Search This Blog

Monday, January 3, 2011

Mixed Vegetable Bake



Mixed Vegetable Bake
My mom fixed a version of this vegetable casserole one time and she gave me the recipe from memory, jotted down on a scrap piece of paper. It didn’t seem quite right when I made it. I asked for the same recipe again and there were some ingredients that she had “left out” that she added this time. Since then, I have made my own version of this recipe and tweaked it for more flavor. I think I’ve finally got it to where I like it.

Total Time: 45 min.

Serves 6
Preheat oven to 350° F

1 lb. (16 oz bag) frozen mixed vegetables
(Mom used a can of mixed vegetables)
Cook as directed, drain
1 small can (8 ¼ oz) creamed corn
1 small can (8 ¾ oz.) whole kernel corn
1 small onion
1/3 cup Miracle Whip or Duke’s Whipped Salad Dressing
1 ½  cups cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Garlic salt to taste
Do not drain
Drain
Chop, fine


Shred, put 1 cup into bowl, save ½ cup for topping
Add seasonings to taste
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Place in greased casserole dish
Remaining ½ cup shredded cheese
¼ cup flavored crackers
(We used an Italian toast and it worked out great. My mom used Ritz crackers, but we don’t like all the extra calories and fat. After all, we throw butter over the crackers.)
2 Tablespoons butter
Place over top of mixture
Crush, place on top of mixture.





Melt, pour over crackers

Bake 30 min or until bubbly




No comments:

Post a Comment